[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Andrew Lih andrew.lih at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 11:11:25 UTC 2005

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:00:43 -0800 (PST), Felix Wan
<felixwiki at earthsphere.org> wrote:
> After browsing the wonderful Wikicities for some time, I have a
> different idea.  We do not need to be bound by the format of an
> encyclopedia.  Why not start a wiki about Cantonese, written
> mainly in standard English and/or standard Chinese?  I believe
> that wiki will be very useful, will attract contributors and
> readers, and should not be opposed.

Felix, I think it's an excellent idea. In fact I think it's a nice fit
for what folks might be searching for in Cantonese - a cultural
literacy guide, or something more freeform to capture the flavor and
quirkiness of the language as a spoken, adaptive language. I can
imagine whole sections on film, Cantopop, slang, literature and
colloquialisms/differences in Cantonese found in HK, Guangdong,
Southeast Asia, North America, etc.

> Since that will be a different project, I would like to do a
> quick popularity survey here.  Who will support that project?
> Who will contribute?

I think it would be a much more exciting project to Cantonese speakers
on the 'net if it was more fun and able to morph to the interests of
the community, rather than what would be dictated by a formal
encyclopedia.

-Andrew (User:Fuzheado)