[Wikipedia-l] Re: Africa info

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Feb 24 21:06:51 UTC 2005

Delirium wrote:

> Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> I would call Sabine's comment realistic rather than pedantic. I
>> realize that technophiles dream of these artificial solutions, but
>> the best they can realistically hope for is competent interpretation
>> of technical material.  When it comes to metaphor technophiles are
>> playing in the right field of dreams. (I wonder how a machine would
>> translate that into the language of people who know nothing about
>> baseball.)
>
> Off-list since this is getting off-topic, but I was implying that my
> comment was pedantic---I agree with Sabine as a practical matter, but
> she was arguing that in principle it is *impossible* for machine
> translation to meet the quality of human translation, which I think is
> incorrect.  It is, however, correct that it will not do so in the near
> future.

I don't know about it being off-topic.  It does have a bearing on how we
approach Africa.  If machine translation were effective it would make
the task of going into Africa a lot easier.   I simply do not share your
unbounded optimism about the future of technology. Of course, in the
nightmare scenario there will always be the HAL who will need to be
reminded that he should stick to "A Bicycle Build for Two."

> The essential observation is that humans are, according to one line of
> thinking, themselves nothing more than biological machines.
> Therefore, by definition, anything a human can do is something a
> machine can do, because we already have an example of a machine that
> can do it.  All that's left is the engineering problem of how to build
> such a machine ourselves.  It could either be a workalike (e.g. wait
> for neuroscientists to document the exact functioning of the brain,
> and simulate that in a computer), or else it could be something
> radically different that still does things we'd consider as  requiring
> intelligence.

The premise that humans are biological machines does not have unanimous
support.  What you say may very well follow logically from that premise,
but others will see it as a kind of GIGO argument

> The "proof" for this as in principle possible is by contradiction: If
> we assume it's impossible, that means that humans must be something
> other than a glob of matter that obeys the laws of physics.  Thus,
> there must be something magical about humans.  That's an assumption
> many people aren't willing to make, which means that they must then
> therefore accept that humans are in essence machines, albeit
> fantastically complex ones.

The glob of matter as matter may very well obey the laws of physics, but
which physics?  Does that necessarily exclude obeying additional laws?
The leap to magic, like the leap to faith, involves jumping to
conclusions.  I'm just as unwilling as you to make that leap, but that
still does not lead me to the conclusion that you derive.  Rather it
leads me to a lot of unanswered questions.  What, for example, is the
role of intuition?  I'm not prepared either to accept my own speculative
theories as an answer, or to confuse that speculation with objective
truth.  That would be engaging in pseudoscience.  I am, however,
prepared to live with the uncertainty that some questions may not be
answerable.  I think that a proof by contradiction can only work if ALL
the contradictory possibilities are known and have been explored.

Ec