[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Day 4 Fund Drive Report (updated)

Henry Tan-Tenn share2002nov at lomaji.com
Wed Feb 23 19:49:31 UTC 2005

Delirium ti 2005/2/23 ChS 01:16 sia-kong:

> I'd question that: I think Africa is "best served" by whatever content
> the most people can read, which is likely to be English.

I'd like to hear the opinions of Africans on these issues, and not just
the elites.  My current opinion is that a Wikipedia limited only to a
few European languages would be a disaster.  They would likely serve, at
best, only the top echelons of African societies, in the sense that
"whatever content the most people can read" would automatically exclude
those who cannot (currently) read.  To this some Wikipedians might point
out that the projects are meant only for the Internet-using population,
and it is not our goal to disseminate knowledge beyond that limited
population (globally speaking).  My response would be that we should not
assume Wikipedia would always remain textual.  In order to disseminate
knowledge to the rest of the population, recordings will eventually need
to be made, initially on a selective basis.  For that we need as many
languages as practically possible and for which there are willing
volunteers.  At this very early stage in Wikimedia's development, urging
editors to close ranks under the banners of a few mega-languages is in
any case premature.

And by the way, a language with 8 million speakers is _not_ a small
language at all.

To put matters into perspective, the following is an article describing
how a US evangelical Christian group (related to the Ethnologue) is
handling languages.  They are currently proceeding at a rate of starting
translations into 90 new language per year:
http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2005/002/28.74.html .  Wikimedia is
not out to save souls (or languages) but there is something about having
a vision that is worth looking into.