[Wikipedia-l] Re: Africa info

Stephen Forrest stephen.forrest at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 17:54:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:32:59 +0200, Andy Rabagliati <andyr at wizzy.com> wrote:

> If we plug away at the en: wikipedia, adding African-related articles,
> maybe a couple of years down the line we will be able to automatically
> translate to Xhosa. I think that is a /much/ better use of everyone's
> time than writing a Xhosa wikipedia.

Well, that's the thing: it's not a zero-sum game.  The set of people
who would work on African articles in en: and on a Xhosa wikipedia are
not the same.  We're not all going to learn Xhosa, and not all
would-be Xhosa writers know English.  (For example, I would speculate
that there exist well-educated Xhosa speakers who speak Afrikaans but
not English.)

Provided the resources are there, I don't see why we couldn't simply do both.

Steve