Africa info (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: [Foundation-l] Day 4 Fund Drive Report (updated))

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Feb 23 14:12:41 UTC 2005

Andre Engels wrote:

>Another issue that we found at least on the Dutch Wikipedia, is that
>Africa is rather underrepresented in the encyclopedia. Getting more
>articles on African subjects would benefit both Wikipedia as a whole
>and a specific project to get information to Africa.

A couple things I've discovered is that in African topics one has
to go to those quaint old places called libraries (forget finding
anything online), and one can get to the edge of current research
very quickly. For English, there is the "Historical Dictionary"
series which is very useful, but in their bibliographies you'll
see comments like "only book on the subject".

The positive way to look at it is that it's an opportunity to
make WP the must-use reference, with the only online info on a
topic, while there are a thousand D-Day websites to "compete" with.

Stan