[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 07:54:27 UTC 2005

> > > His examples are just stubs. And in fact I can read it as well.
> >
> > His examples from www.cantonese.org.cn?
>
> No, but from the Cantonese test site on meta.

Did you get Alex's point?? Did you even visit the link she gave you? Geez.

> > > are only two possible solutions: 1) do not translate these terms into
> > > Cantonese, which makes a Cantonese Wikipedia a repetition of Chinese
> > > Wikipedia, or 2) translate, and no one understands.
> >
> > You just said that written Cantonese is so easy to understand and now
> > you say once a term is translated, no one will understand it?
>
> I mean technical terms can be tricky, because essentially no one knows
> what one technical term should be translated into Cantonese. And in a
> topic that is very technical (which does come out often in an
> encyclopedia), that will make reading and understanding difficult.

This is dubious at best. I thought you said Cantonese isn't written,
how can you translate something into a language that /doesn't exist/!?

Unlike general vocabulary, most very technical terms in Cantonese are
either identical to the Mandarin translation, or are a transliteration
of the English word but are widely used and widely understood
thruought the Cantonese-speaking world.

For example in Cantonese it is common to say "git8ta0" for guitar,
"fei0lam" for film, "zek0zi6fung0" for saxophone, and "tzeu0gu0lik0"
for chocolate. This isn't common in Mandarin, but it often appears in
Cantonese writing, and can be understood by people from all over the
Cantonese-speaking world.

Mark