[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Richard Holton richholton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 01:23:46 UTC 2005

Mark,

**Intentional Top-post**

May I suggest that you calm down a bit, and actually read what people write?

Your quite lengthy response was entirely based upon things that I
never said, or even thought.

Please re-read what I wrote; I'll quote myself here:

Rich Holton wrote:
> I don't think you're thinking clearly here. Any Wikipedia, any
> Wikimedia project, has potential repercussions on the other projects,
> and certainly on those who are involved in coordinating and
> maintaining those projects.
>
> If native speakers want to start a wiki using the MediaWiki software,
> they are of course welcome to. But if it is going to be one of the
> WikiMedia Foundation projects, it's an absolute requirement that there
> be some community discretion involved.

You will note that nowhere did I mention a vote, or a majority. "Some
community discretion" is a long way from "decided by majority vote." I
was very intentionally non-specific, but in no way did I think or
intend "majority vote." Exactly what form the community discretion
would take is an open question. I would think that the developers
should have some input into the decision, and probably the board of
directors. Beyond that I am unsure. Perhaps we could use a petition
model.

To allow anyone to start a new language Wikipedia without any input
from the larger community is an invitation to chaos.

(This is not comparable to those who say that the 'wiki way' is an
invitation to chaos. It's not the same, especially unless there is a
mechanism to delete wikipedias, like VFD is for articles. Anyone can
start a new one, but there can be vote to delete it? That certainly
would be the tyranny of the majority, or even just the vocal
minority.)

We could easily end up with a thousand wikipedias, many of which with
little or no traffic on a daily basis. Even if locked down, these
deserted wikipedias would simply become a headache for maintenance,
and would have no benefit.

Now, it may be that my particular suggestions for community
discernment are terrible. It would not be the first time I made
terrible suggestions. But if my suggestions are terrible,  that does
not mean that the concept is terrible.

-Rich Holton