[Wikipedia-l] Two scripts/directions in one Wiki?

Erdal Ronahi erdal.ronahi at gmx.net
Sun Feb 20 11:06:01 UTC 2005

Hi,

We at the Kurdish Wikipedia/Wiktionary have the (maybe unique) problem,
that Kurdish is not only written with two different alphabets (latin and
arabic-based), but that these two scripts are written in different
directions. I am looking for technical support here before I post
anything as a feature request to the bugtracker.

While the majority of all articles is (and probably will be) left to
right, often both directions are needed on one page, while some can be
entirely right-to-left. Until now, noone has proposed to split the
Wikipedia, on the contrary we want to include both scripts and provide
optimal usability for both. Following are some problems for the
right-to-left support:

*Page titles are partially incorrectly displayed, because all browsers
interpret left-to-right words different that left-to-right paragraphs
*Lists appear incorrectly. Example:
http://ku.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D9%88%D9%87%E2%80%8C%D8%B4%D8%A7%D9%86%DB%8E%D9%86_%D8%B3%DB%8C
*Font problems.

The main problem seems to be that it is not possible to define a whole
page as right-to-left. After a lot of trying we found a patial solution.
Pages that are RTL use a template with a <div>-tag with a .rtl-class.
This works, but it is a suboptimal solution, especially because a
newcomer who wants to write RTL faces problems.

A solution would be something that defines whole pages as RTL, optimal
would be a connection with the pagename: when the pagetitle is in arabic
script, the page content should be RTL.

I would be glad about any help on the issue.

Greetings,
Erdal