[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 10:14:00 UTC 2005

Oh, and I think there won't be 1 million Wikipedias.

Most dialects, or closely intelligible varieties, are 100% happy
sharing the Wikipedia. So far nobody has requested a Singlish
Wikipedia, so it isn't even a case to consider.

If a native speaker requests a Wikipedia in what is not considered by
all to be an independent language, some criteria should be considered:

1. Does ANYBODY (not the majority, just anybody) write in the
dialect/language often, ie beyond SMS and such?
2. What is mutual intelligibility of it and existing Wikipedia's
language, when written?
3. Is there any desire, among even a small community, for some small
seperation in literature?

Ethnologue considers Voro to be a dialect of Estonian, as do many
linguists. But the mutual intelligibility with standard Estonian when
written is not above 90% (I don't believe), many people write in Voro,
and it has entirely separate literature.

Platt is perhaps more comparable here. It was similarly said then,
that standard German text can be read as regional pronunciation. But
it meets these 3 criteria: Quite a few people (not the majority
though) write often in Platt; when written its mutual intelligibility
is below 90%, and there is some desires for a separate literature
which is already emerging.

This case is similar here. I estimate pure written Cantonese at
between 70 and 89% intelligibility with Guanhua-Baihuawen depending on
specific instance (maybe 85% on average). This is /casual/ mutual
intelligibility, that you can read it without having to stop over and
over to guess what words might mean. I'm much less sure about Wu but I
think it is in the same range, especially when etymologically correct
hanzi are used rather than using etymologically incorrect hanzi for
their Baihuawen meaning. (the hanzi that means "run" in Minnan for
example, means "walk" in Baihuawen, but often it is used for "walk" in
Minnan because of uneducation of etymology)

It makes no sense regularly to say "Bite is", but "m-sik" is Cantonese
for "isn't" and the way it is written means "bite is" in
Baihuawen/Mandarin which is the same.

Mark