[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Alex Y. Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 10:03:13 UTC 2005

Hello,

Sheng Jiong wrote:
> I have been called talking "crap". I would appreciate if you can argue
> using facts and not simply call other people's opinions "crap" too.

I, afaik, have never called your words "crap" and if I have, I
apologize. What I object to, however, is your constant attempts to
demean other people's entirely sincere efforts in creating another
wikipedia. The point I'm trying to bring up isn't if their/our project
is viable or not, but that your very attitude of disdain implies that
you entered into this discussion merely to ridicule those of us who wish
to see our proposal accepted.

> Maybe you can. But has majority of the Hong Kongers start writing
> Cantonese down?

I don't know; I've never done a poll about it. But if push comes to
shove, I'd say yes, of course yes. For fun, for short messages, for
memos, for online BBS, whatever, but yes. You've been asking this
question repeatedly, and I, along with everyone else, have been giving
the same answer.

> Well, that I should ask you people. I find myself engaged in a flame
> war with three persons whose total number of contributions to
> Wikipedia are less than that of mine alone.

...You consider this a flame war?! I've been trying to be nothing but
perfectly polite. You're the one whom I consider...discourteous.

And how'd you know whether your contributions are more or less than
those of us?

> And remind you, if you have not already known, one of Chinese
> Wikipedia's founding member, [[User:Lorenzarius]], was from Hong Kong.
> And he was one of the main opposer of splitting Chinese Wikipedia into
> Simplified and Traditional version before there was a conversion
> script. And [[User:Tomchiukc]] is still an active Hong Kong
> Wikipedian.

That's...not relevant to this particular discussion. Good for them, yay
Hong Kong.

And I'll refrain myself from any discussion about Traditional vs.
Simplified Chinese.

> Chinese Wikipedian community is relatively small(if you count active
> contributors, I think there are less than 100), and to have 2 very
> active users from Hong Kong is already an achievement, considering the
> percentage of Chinese users in Hong Kong in comparison with mainland
> China.

Now you're implying something about HKers that I don't have the time to
discern. I actually don't find it surprising at all that there are so
"many" HKers contributing in wikipedia, but to get into the reasons
would be...rude to the mainland Chinese.

> Because you are showing me exceptions. I am sure your being able to
> sit here and write means you should be able to understand what is
> "widely accepted".

Again, just because we're on different sides of an issue doesn't mean
you need to try to insult your opponents.

little Alex