[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Alex Y. Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 06:46:34 UTC 2005

Hello,

Sheng Jiong wrote:
> Because people choose to igonore it, and because it is just so small
> and it is almost non-existent. But I am not prepared to accept another
> Cantonese Wikipedia, and then Shanghainese, and then whatsoever trash.

I would appreciate it if you can argue using facts and not simply call
other people's proposals trash. It's highly disrespectful.

> There are not standard. No one has formalised these "characters", not
> the Hong Kong government (both before and after 1997),

The HK government has a page explaining and giving links to a code that
has all the Cantonese/Hong Kong-specific characters that the standard
Big5 code might not have. I don't know what is formalising if this isn't.

Here, you can see for yourself:
http://www.info.gov.hk/digital21/chi/structure/cli_main.html

> But put characters aside, the grammar is the same for Cantonese and
> Chinese.

That's...incorrect, to say the least.

> We are now seeing a small portion of Cantonese speakers who believe
> that there should be something as a Cantonese Wikipedia. But for most
> Cantonese speakers (even if you just limit that to Hong Kongers), most
> people object such proposals because most people know that Cantonese
> is NOT a written language.

All languages can be written down in one way or another, if the language
speakers want to.

And there's no evidence that most Cantonese speakers would object such a
  proposal. The three Cantonese speakers who had said anything here are
Felix, Cathy, and I. I doubt we three are the only Cantonese speakers on
this list or on zh.wikipedia.org.

> Again I want you to show me evidence that
> Cantonese IS a written language (do not tell me X books are written in

I'm now beginning to think that showing you the evidence when we find it
is pointless, since you seem to be holding onto your stance based on
emotions rather than facts. Any time Felix or I try (tries?) to show you
something, your reply is the same: oh, that doesn't count, that's just
an exception.

little Alex