[Wikipedia-l] Distributed proofreading (was "The God-King drives a Hyundai")

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Feb 19 16:28:25 UTC 2005

Brion Vibber wrote:

> Daniel Mayer wrote:
>
>> I think this is a wonderful idea. But to work we would need some
>> software
>> features that currently do not exist (scanned image side-by-side with
>> wiki
>> page; each in its own HTML frame).
>
> Doesn't the Gutenberg Distributed Proofreaders project already do this
> sort of thing?
>
> http://www.pgdp.net/c/default.php

It does, but what does it do with the raw scanned version after the
proofreading is done?  For much of what we have now what we and PG do is
adequate, and it probably satisfies the needs of the average person who
wants to read those texts.  For literary works in Roman script and other
highly textual material there should be little problem, but we would
like the illustrations too in the scientific works.

The availability of the original scans would be our guarantee of the
authenticity of our content.  That's a significant factor in times when
credibility is a big complaint about anything that appears on the net.
When the proofreading for a book has been completed a text file should
remain the primary avenue to a work, but we would give a reader the
opportunity to see what the work really looked like when it was
printed.  The graphic version could probably be on a low traffic server.

Ec