[Wikipedia-l] NSM88, deletion of user page image, personal attacks

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sat Feb 19 09:11:36 UTC 2005

Fred Bauder wrote:

>As our policy is currently written, running off neo-nazis or Stalinist (or
>Trotskyist or Maoist) revolutionaries is not permitted. Nor is exclusion of
>open advocates of Islamic (or Zionist) terrorism. In my opinion we should
>change that policy and permit exclusion of open advocates of totalitarian
>ideologies and terrorism.

I wouldn't want Wikipedia to be in a position of declaring certain
ideologies "unwelcome".  Whether the proper way of governing a
nation-state is along fascist lines, monarchist lines, liberal lines, or
no lines at all is an interesting political-science debate, but not one
we need to have an "official Wikipedia position" on.  Similarly, I don't
think we need to answer the question of "when, if ever, is terrorism
justified?" in order to write an encyclopedia.

In fact, I don't see how these are qualitatively different than any of
the other content disputes on Wikipedia.

-Mark