[Wikipedia-l] Distributed proofreading

Michael Ciesielski ciesiels at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 19 03:51:38 UTC 2005

Brion Vibber wrote:

> Doesn't the Gutenberg Distributed Proofreaders project already do this
> sort of thing?
>
> http://www.pgdp.net/c/default.php

Yup, and we're actively working on EB11. At the moment, the following
are posted (finished):

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/200 -- Vol. 1 [*]
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/13600 -- Vol. 2, Part 1, Slice 1

Various other parts of many volumes are in progress. If you'd like to
help, visit <http://www.pgdp.net/> and register a new account. You
should probably start with some beginners projects to familiarise
yourself with our Proofreading Guidelines, and then you're welcome to
work on whatever you like, including the current EB volume being
proofed: Vol 6 #3 (Chiton to Cincinnati). While you're there, you can
join Team Wikipedia ;).

Mark Williamson wrote:

>Alternatively, we could store it as images online. That would take a
>lot of bandwidth, but... it would preserve the original much much
>better.

When we're working on a particular section, the images are necessarily
stored online. After a project is posted to Project Gutenberg, the scans
are archived to a different server so that they can still be referred to
for corrections. It's planned that One Day the archived images will be
publicly accessible.

Michael

[*] Note: Volume 1 was posted as the Project Gutenberg Encyclopedia due
to potential trademark issues with the use of the EB name that are now
resolved.