[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] French wikipedians requesting to install Wikiforum extension on French Wikipedia

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Fri Feb 18 16:47:44 UTC 2005

I was prepared to say that I'm against the idea until I tried it.

For me the key is: I can edit other people's posts.  This keeps it a
wiki, and this has very important social implications.

I would be opposed to much use of talk pages that allow for
discussions that don't let other people edit.

It is very important as a matter of mutual trust that we *can* edit
comments, even if we almost *never* do, as a matter of custom.

Public restaurants might be much safer if every table was in a
different room with a locked door.  That way, no one could hit each
other.  But it's good for society that we sit at restuarants
peacefully together.  Sure, people *could* hit each other, but they
*don't*.  (Usually :-))

I like it.

--Jimbo