[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

MilchFlasche瑋平 robertus0617 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 11:02:42 UTC 2005

Unnecessary and irrelevant.

As for the length and number of the testing articles, since it has
just begun, I suggest that we try not to express our outstraight doubt
so early.
If Mr. Sheng Jiong should continue assuming that Chinese vernacular
versions lack necessity, I also suggest that he put more argument to
discuss with. Yes, we do need more helpful discussion, especially
after that people who are pros have said so much.
As for the vote, I haven't heard that Wikimedia foundation has held
any vote to decide whether a version should be built. Did we asked for
all the community's consent when so many other languages were built?
So who care most whether Cantonese or other vernaculars should have
their own? Probably only the Chinese Wikipedia community. And why
would they block? Because some people still confuse "Chinese" with
"China", and forget that what we call "Chinese language" is actually
only Mandarin, the common vernacular but not the only language spoken
in China. And why should people from Chinese Wikipedia have a say to
influence the establishment of Cantonese or Min-nan? I don't know! If
you ask a Castilian or a German whether Catalan, Asturianu, or
Plattduutsch version should exist, I wouldn't know how he would
respond, but the fact is that they are there now, without much
dispute! So I just need to be taught that why Chinese users should
think otherwise.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 18:18:47 +0800, Sheng Jiong <sheng.jiong at gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys, I do admire your passion and your enthusiasm (although I have no
> idea how long will that last). I am not against you having a try on
> writing serious things in Cantonese (which you have not yet quite
> started, as far as I know, since till now all you have written are
> just stubs less than even 200 characters). I still hold my opinion
> that there is not a necissity for a Cantonese Wikipedia(or any other
> Chinese dialect Wikipedias) to exist, but I encourage helpful
> discussions and even a vote if necessary should you decide to formally
> propose setting up one. What I do not want to see is the set up of a
> Cantonese Wikipedia without the consent of the entire Wikipedia
> community, especially the Chinese Wikipedia community (as in the case
> of Ming-nan Wikipedia).
>
> (Someone mentioned about Bible translated into Algerian Arabic. I just
> wonder: is there any Cantonese translations of Bible, and if there is,
> is anybody still uses this version?)
>
> [[User:Formulax]]

2005, make signs happen!