[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 07:54:29 UTC 2005

Hi Stirling and Cathy,

I will respond separately.

Cathy, these are all good and fine issues you raise.

>The answers vary but in sum, none of us have ever written anything in
>full Cantonese in the context of article-writing.  Contrary to what
>you may believe, it is actually hard to write in full-Cantonese
>without mixing in formal Chinese in a passage.  But on an
>interpersonal level - that is much easier and we do write short memos
>an notes to one another in Cantonese.

This has been experienced by many a language in the past. For example,
the O'odham language local to where I live had some issues at first
where people thought English should be used in all formal contexts and
O'odham should only be used for interpersonal communication and the
like.

People found it difficult to write O'odham because they had been
taught to write English in school.

However, with a little bit of effort on the part of everybody, these
people decided it was worth it to use their native language in /all/
realms of life with only one exception, communication with people who
do not know O'odham at all.

At first it was difficult - people kept substituting English words
when there was a perfectly suitable O'odham equivalent, at least in
formal writing - but in a short while people really got the hang of it
and it was even fun for them.

Now there is radio, minor newspapers, road signs, local government,
utility bills, business, and school all operating entirely in O'odham
(with the exception of the schools which are bilingual - if they
didn't teach English as their first language they would get hate mail
from all over the country and pressure from the federal government to
cease), and it has really experienced a wonderful blossoming (still no
novels or post secondary education - that may have to wait).

What I'm saying here is that the reason it is difficult for you and
your friends and colleagues to write long passages in Cantonese is
because you don't have a lot of experience with writing Cantonese.
That is to say, you may have experience writing messages like "Please
have the papers ready for me in 5 minutes", but you don't have
experience writing longer passages with content more like "It was my
idea originally, but to Connie it was so intriguing that I let her fly
with it. The results were more successful than we could imagine, they
have increased the net worth of the division 150%. It's amazing nobody
had thought of it before".

I don't know for sure but I am willing to hazard a guess that people
like those at cantonese.org.cn can write longer passages in Cantonese
relatively easily, purely, and fluently because it is something they
do often.

As far as the Hong Kong vs Guangdong thing, I think a lot of this
arises from terms that would be more used in daily conversation than
informative speech, if you are talking semi-formally about Germany I
think there would be very few problems compared to if you are talking
informally about your family or especially about "extreme
colloquialised" topics such as romantic relationships.

The differences between written HK Cantonese and GD Cantonese are
very, very small when compared to those between written HK Cantonese
and Baihuawen - the character used for negation in Cantonese means "to
bite" in Baihuawen (this is partially because the etymologically
correct character was phased out of colloquial Cantonese writing some
time ago, and replaced with the more recent idea to use the current
character).

Stirling,

We have already discussed between you and I what you are currently suggesting.

I do not want to argue with you about it so I only ask one thing.

Is it or is it not full-blown machine translation? It requires not
only conversion of minor vocabulary differences, but grammatical,
syntactic, and many other changes.

Mark