[Wikipedia-l] NSM88, deletion of user page image, personal attacks

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Thu Feb 17 12:19:15 UTC 2005

Rich Holton said:

> I take extreme exception to the statement that "Neo-Nazis will not be
> tolerated in Wikipedia." In my opinion that statement is in direct
> contradiction to the concept of NPOV.

Agreed.  Neo-nazis are not incapable of making useful NPOV edits, in my
experience, and their perspective makes them more likely to spot some
forms of POV that might escape the radar of other editors.  They can also
do useful research, as that chap did on the article about the New Zealand
NF rally.  The result of their contribution would be higher quality
encyclopedic content, and their views are hardly likely to predominate and
overbalance articles in the prevailing climate of Wikipedia.
As with all editors with a mission, their edits should be, and almost
certainly will, be watched more closely than others.  Recent experience
has shown us that counter-activism can also be a problem--this isn't new,
I saw a similar problem on Usenet nearly ten years ago, but Wikipedia has
the editorial control structures to alleviate the effect of such
tit-for-tat.