Article ownership Re: avoiding forks (was Re: [Wikipedia-l] public service ads in Wikipedia?)

Rich Holton rich_holton at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 00:46:29 UTC 2005

--- Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:

> Stirling Newberry wrote:
>
> > I feel the more "automatic" we make the process of "raising a red
> > flag" on an article, the more it will be done rather than edit
> warring
> > it out.
>
> Something like this would help a great deal, I think.  I've been in a
>
> few disputes where I was pretty certain that if the wider community
> was
> aware of the dispute, my position was pretty obviously the way to go,
>
> but the problem was that I was fighting with the very small group of
> people who cared about the page, who had very particular views.  A
> common way to resolve this in the past has been emailing wikien-l (or
>
> the appropriate language list) asking people to take a look at the
> article, but as Wikipedia gets bigger this method doesn't scale very
> well, and also tends to result in a lot of content discussion on the
> list that should really be on the talk pages.
>
> -Mark

How about a "Special:Active Pages" that would list the top 'n' most
active pages -- where active would be defined as number of edits over a
period of time, where adjacent edits by the same user are treated as
one edit.

Would this help in the sort of situation you're referring to? Or is
edit activity not a good measure?

-Rich Holton
(en.wikipedia:User:Rholton)