[Wikipedia-l] NYTimes.com: Google may host encyclopedia project

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Mon Feb 14 00:47:59 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:
> Of course.
>
> But a more complete democracy would've been better.

This touches, somewhat, on political philosophy, both in theory and in
practice.  As such, and because I pay probably more attention to
political philosophy than many people would consider healthy, I have a
fair number of strong opinions on such matters as this.

In this particular case, I have to say that I disagree that "a more
complete democracy" would necessarily be "better".  In my opinion,
democracy should be used to allow consensus to have influence in
administrative matters, and not to allow consensus to CONTROL
administrative matters.  If "democracy" were "complete" in the running
of Wikipedia, it may well end up being voted out of "wiki" status and
become a hierarchically managed academic project.

That sort of risk of rampant popular whim having direct control over
something is precisely the reason the early US government ratified the
Constitution, and particularly the Bill of Rights.  There is a set of
rules for the organization of the effort that are largely inaccessible
to the public, democratic will, precisely to protect the ideals of the
organization from the whims of its constituency.  While Wikipedia isn't
a government, it too needs (in my opinion, at least) a separation
between the democratically expressed will of its "public" and the Big
Decisions, though probably with a strong set of rules in place to limit
the liberties that can be taken within the range of whatever mechanism
is implemented to maintain that separation.

Pure democracy can be viewed in as unflattering a light as pure
authoritarianism.  If the most important part of the endeavor is its
ideals, we should aim to support those ideals over any superficial
methodologies of implementation.

--
Chad

(PS:  prior statements quoted below for context)