[Wikipedia-l] NYTimes.com: Google may host encyclopedia project

Thomas Whaples tom at eh.net
Sun Feb 13 02:45:27 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> What worries me is that the final say rests with a small-but-trusted
> group of individuals, not with the community. This is the trouble of
> our switch from a complete democracy to a not-so-representative
> democracy (only two of the board members were elected) - we have to
> trust that these people will be gentle with our future.

I think you're idealizing the 'primeval' state of Wikipedia. Wikipedia, as
a web site (with its attendant collection of computers, DNS registrations,
and other unique features) was never owned or operated by some sort of
collective you could describe as a 'complete democracy'. It was run by
Jimbo Wales, and he had the final say in everything- he was just nice
enough to defer to the community in most matters. If Google had proposed a
deal with Wikipedia before the WMF was founded, then the final say would
rest with him just as much as it currently rests with the Board of
Trustees of the Wikimedia foundation.