[Wikipedia-l] public service ads in Wikipedia?

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 02:45:43 UTC 2005

--- Tony Sidaway <minorityreport at bluebottle.com> wrote:
> Wikipedia material is GFDL. Wikimedia Foundation can and should employ
> whatever fundraising methods it thinks are optimal.  Anybody who doesn't
> like the methods still gets to use the product on their own fork.  Free as
> in speech.

This is not going to be an issue so long as donations of both money and hosting
keep us running. So far this has been the case - it just looks like we will
have to pay more attention to grants and hosting offers in the future than we
have been.

In fact one of the most remarkable things about Wikipedia and her sister
projects is the fact that they *fully* exist due to the good will and
generosity of the people who use them and the people who just admire them.

But yes - the choice between Wikipedia with ads and no Wikipedia is a
no-brainer for everybody except for the most ardent anti-capitalistic zealots.
Making that choice, however, does not at all seem to be something we need worry
about in the foreseeable future.

-- mav (just talking for himself - as always unless stated otherwise)