[Wikipedia-l] NYTimes.com: Google may host encyclopedia project

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Feb 12 07:07:17 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:
> As Avriette said,
>
> "Since the entire content of the wikipedia is available for download
> already, there's no reason they couldn't host their own wikipedia
> content, pull it from us, and do whatever indexing they want to do
> with it. If they have some altruistic goal, they should instead just
> donate money. They've certainly got the spare cash."
>
> If Google has no ulterior motives, they can donate $$$.
>
> I somehow doubt that Google, a publicly-traded company with very
> secretive management, wants to do this because they feel it's their
> duty.
>
> What worries me is that the final say rests with a small-but-trusted
> group of individuals, not with the community. This is the trouble of
> our switch from a complete democracy to a not-so-representative
> democracy (only two of the board members were elected) - we have to
> trust that these people will be gentle with our future.
>
> Not that I don't trust these people. It's just that this is a very big
> thing here, and even some of the best people have been swayed by the
> power of the almighty monetary unit.
>
> Mark

While I'm not precisely a part of the "inner circle", or anything like
that, I believe I have some idea what I'm talking about when I say that
it is highly unlikely the almighty dollar is going to sway the board on
grounds of personal gain.  Seriously.  It just doesn't fit with the
circumstances of the Foundation, though I'm not sure I know how to
articulate my feelings in the matter.

I guess I'll just say this, for now:  I have faith that whether the
decision that is made is right or wrong, it will be made for the right
reasons in this case.

--
Chad