[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request, and Chinese Wikipedia again

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 06:24:18 UTC 2005

Hi Anthere,

Of course there is no way to know for sure, but so far we have
received expressions of interest from Alex Kwan, who is already an
outstanding member of the zh: and en: communities, and Felix Wan, who
appears to be very much interested in this idea.

There are quite a few others who have expressed support on the meta:
page, but I'm not sure 1) how many are real people, 2) how many
actually speak Cantonese, and 3) how many would actually edit the new
Wikipedia.

Of course these problems are involved in the creation of any new
Wikipedia, and look how many Wikipedias we now have with good article
bases.

For example, the Limburgish Wikipedia, which just a month ago was on
the list of Wikipedias proposed to be closed because of inactivity
with 0 pages and little content in Limburgish, now has at least 171
pages due to a sudden and explosive growth in contributors, especially
Guaka and HaafLimbo.

The Aragonese Wikipedia, which although it had 30 or 40 pages a month
ago, was inactive and a member of my "inactive Wikipedias" list that I
check for vandalism, with only a couple of edits every month. Now, it
has nearly 500 pages.

In the space of a very short time, the Luxemburgish Wikipedia went
from nonexistant to over 1000 articles.

This is not to say that we should just create new subdomains left and
right without any prospect of sustainability.

Rather, I believe that instead of requiring 5 users or an interface
translation to start a new Wikipedia, we should require only 1 user -
a fluent speaker - who will respond to e-mails (some requesters of new
languages just float off into space never to be heard from again).

Thus, while the prospect for it being abandoned still exists, it is
still much less likely than just creating all requested Wikipedias.
The reason I don't think we need such stringent requirements as have
been proposed is simple: Empty Wikipedias eventually begin to fill up.

There are those who would complain about having to clean up after
vandals (and even a user who posted English-language articles on the
American Civil War to dz: a couple of weeks ago!), but this is no
longer a concern due to my constant monitoring of a list of 118
inactive Wikipedias, which has been going on for a couple of months
now.

When these Wikipedias begin to grow, I keep them on the list a bit
longer to make sure it's not just temporary growth, and then I remove
them (thus, I have not yet removed the Aragonese or Limburgish
Wikipedias, but I will soon). So far it has proven a successful
preventative for vandalism, although new pages created by vandals
continue to exist.

So as long as there is a somewhat-reasonable expectation that a
Wikipedia will begin to grow immediately, I don't believe we need to
over-worry about having heaps of participants.

Mark