[Wikipedia-l] Quenya language request

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sat Feb 12 03:21:18 UTC 2005

Tony Sidaway wrote:

> Elves, Klingons, etc, do not exist.  They never did exist.  There is no
> such thing as elvish culture; Tolkien made it all up.  I believe the only
> recorded attempt to raise a child bilingual in Klingon was terminated by
> the child at the age of five; I'm unaware of any attempts to raise
> children bilingual in Quenya, Sindarin, Orcish or any other fictional
> Middle Earth language, but would expect that they'd have a similar
> outcome.  I don't have any objection in principle to groups producing
> their own encyclopedias in any language, but when it comes to spending
> Wikipedia Foundation money I hope it will be used to cover the languages
> of living humans in preference to languages of interest only to fans,
> hobbyists and linguists.

Apparently, this particular email didn't get deleted when I was done
with it.  As such, it sat in my inbox, already read and forgotten for a
few days.  Sifting through email, I found it again, and suddenly I'm
struck by a thought:

If we were going to create a(nother) Middle Earth language Wikipedia, it
wouldn't be Quenya that I'd want.  I'd want Orcish, personally.

Of course, I realize how ludicrous that is.  There isn't even a recorded
Orcish language, as far as I'm aware.  As such, I must in good
conscience oppose the idea of creating a bunch of Middle Earth language
Wikipedias.  Such is life.

Orcish would just be too cool, though. . . .

--
Chad