[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request

Michael Snow wikipedia at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 11 02:51:17 UTC 2005

David Gerard wrote:

>Mark Williamson (node.ue at gmail.com) [050211 11:41]:
>

>>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:29:04 +1100, David Gerard
>><fun at thingy.apana.org.au> wrote:
>>

>>>I think we can all agree that Quenya should be created before we even
>>>consider Cantonese.
>>>... no?
>>>

>>I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic, and if you are, it's funny.
>>But I just want to make sure... are you?
>>

>I cite the above as evidence of Commonwealth English being mutually
>unintelligible with American English. For further proof, I will show
>transcripts of British English users arguing politics with American
>libertarians on #wikipedia. No way either can understand anything the
>other is saying.

So, should we read that as a request to start a new Wikipedia in one of
those languages? (Note that I am not commenting on which of those would
get to keep the current en: site, but obviously the Nynorsk/Bokmål
debate will seem positively mild compared to the flamewar to come.)

Anyway, as a preemptive strike I wish to object to this request. My
reason is that even though I use American English, I found the remark
perfectly intelligible. I firmly oppose any balkanisation of the English
Wikipedia.

--Michael Snow