[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 00:50:18 UTC 2005

> > David Gerard said:
>
> > > If we have a precedent that zh: can block the existence of a Cantonese
> > > Wikipedia, can en: block Quenya? Please?
>
> > I hope we have no such precedent.  Allowing the speakers of a rival
> > language to veto the production of a Wikipedia would not be right.
>
> Fuzheado's arguments appear to be along those lines - in particular the
> argument that zh: needs the resources instead (as if volunteers are
> employees who can be reassigned at will, even assuming the argument it
> needs the resources so desperately is valid).

But as of yet, Wikimedia policy in general seems to disagree sharply
with this idea. Although, perhaps to the surprise of some, while I am
FOR considering the creation of a Quenya Wikipedia, at the moment I am
decidedly AGAINST its creation among the set of existing Wikipedias
and given what has and has not been allowed so far.

Given tokipona:'s having been moved off-site (although apparently with
little or no notice to or involvement of Tokiponites), I think that
the Klingon Wikipedia should be moved to kli.org and the Lojban
Wikipedia should be considered - CONSIDERED - for being moved to
lojban.org.

> > Their
> > observations (and I've seen some potentially persuasive arguments on
> > either side in the Chinese Wikipedia discussion though I have not
> > investigated it closely) should not be dismissed as irrelevant, but they
> > shouldn't be allowed to block an otherwise viable Wikipedia.
>
> We have Wikipedias for things that are clearly dialects; Cantonese is
> mutually-unintelligible with Mandarin.
>
> But let's start a Quenya Wikipedia instead. Hell, that's not grossly
> insulting! At all!

Indeed. I'm sure Cantonese and Wu speakers would not take that as a
smack in the face of their linguistic selves.

Mark