[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikicite project pages (english versions only so far)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu Feb 10 20:17:24 UTC 2005

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

>Stirling Newberry <stirling.newberry at xigenics.net> writes:
>

>>In fact, one of the seeds for wikicite should be the wikisource
>>database.
>>

>wikicite is superflous.  Use technology that is state of the art, you
>will be able to extract interesting snippets from a document or a
>document system (XML with XPath resp. XPointer).  Zebra (idzebra) is
>such an iplementation (cf. indexdata.dk).

That would be very nice in an ideal world.

Using state-of-the-art technology will probably very effectively
accomplish what you say, but at what price?  Retro-compatibility is
essential, because only those most closely acquainted with the
technology can afford to maintain their systems up-to-date.  The
VisiCalc program that I bought in 1982 did everything that I wanted it
to.  I did get away from my Apple II+, but the Microsoft Excel 5.0c from
1994 still does its job.  Many users resent being obliged to buy new
technology when the old one was adequate.

One of the key advantages of the wiki way is that it draws more people
into the ranks of the knowledgeable.  Binding ourselves to
state-of-the-art technology may only result in creating a new elite.  If
we set about destroying the ivory tower it should not be with the sole
purpose of using the debris as a foundation for a new one.

Ec