[Wikipedia-l] Re: Valentine's day!

Sabine Cretella sabine_cretella at yahoo.it
Thu Feb 10 14:55:08 UTC 2005

>> Not to spoil your fun, but unlike Christmas there is a much more
>> international greeting for the same holiday (Valentine's Day) that is
>> much less likely to alienate or offend others.

so this would be worth a note, don't you think so?

>> There is no way to say "Happy valentine's day" in O'odham
>> (Pima/Papago) or Piipaash (Maricopa) or Xalychidoma (Halichidhoma)
>> without sounding extremely strange and perhaps overly religious - it
>> is definitely non-traditional and not all speakers of these languages
>> (well, at least O'odham) know what it is.

And also this should then be inserted - with a note (also in English is
ok) that there is no consideration for S. Valentine - this is part of
culture - and of course it should be part of one or more wikipedia
articles (and linked).

> Indeed. It's a cultural thing -- even in Europe, I'm not sure how we'd
> say it in Welsh as our equivalent is St Dwynwen's Day (25th January).
> We had plenty of our own saints and had no need to import Roman ones!

And here I would add the wish for St. Dwynwens's Day + a note that it is
on 25th January, has a similar sense, but an own meaning - linked to
wikipedia articles :-)

So maybe also many others now know what the sense of all those wishes
is: to say: here it is different :-)

Ciao, Sabine

.... still finishing a never ending job ... sigh ...