[Wikipedia-l] Quenya language request

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Thu Feb 10 11:42:55 UTC 2005

Ribamar Santarosa de Sousa said:
>> (...)
>> Wikipedia Foundation money I hope it will be used to cover the
>> languages of living humans in preference to languages of interest only
>> to fans, (...)
>
> Do you mean wikipedias like the latin one should not to exist?

It's a borderline case.  It's well over a century since scientific papers
were commonly written in Latin, and about forty years since the Second
Vatican Council recommended the abolition of the tridentine mass, which
was predominately Latin.  I studied the language at school but my children
did not.  If the choice today were between Latin and a language with
living native speakers and a strong written culture I would choose the
latter.  But I do not rule out Latin, Klingon, Quenya or Sindarin, but I
hope we'll not place such marginal entities above real people.  Of course
if nobody is prepared to work on a Wikipedia in a given language, the
question does not arise.