[Wikipedia-l] Quenya language request

Tony Sidaway minorityreport at bluebottle.com
Thu Feb 10 11:09:16 UTC 2005

Ron H said:

> I would like to request adding Quenya to the list of languages on
> Wikimedia.  Quenya is the language of the elves in the works of
> Tolkien. Other fictional  languages, such as Klingon, already exist on
> Wikipedia. I speak passing  Quenya. I have already prepared several
> articles, including one on  constellations, and would like to add them
> to a quenya-language wiki.

Elves, Klingons, etc, do not exist.  They never did exist.  There is no
such thing as elvish culture; Tolkien made it all up.  I believe the only
recorded attempt to raise a child bilingual in Klingon was terminated by
the child at the age of five; I'm unaware of any attempts to raise
children bilingual in Quenya, Sindarin, Orcish or any other fictional
Middle Earth language, but would expect that they'd have a similar
outcome.  I don't have any objection in principle to groups producing
their own encyclopedias in any language, but when it comes to spending
Wikipedia Foundation money I hope it will be used to cover the languages
of living humans in preference to languages of interest only to fans,
hobbyists and linguists.