[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request

Philip Newton Philip.Newton at gmx.net
Thu Feb 10 08:46:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 23:55:05 -0500, Stephen Forrest wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:08:38 +0000, Ron H <aceron99 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I would like to request adding Quenya to the list of languages on
> > Wikimedia.  Quenya is the language of the elves in the works of
> > Tolkien.
>
> ObNitpicking: it is one such language.  Sindarin is the other elvish
> language about which Tolkien wrote a significant amount.  I suppose
> granting a wikipedia for one would make it rather difficult not to
> grant one for the other as well.

Especially since, TTBOMK, the known vocabulary for Sindarin is rather
larger than that for Quenya, making it arguably more suitable for such a
work.

(One problem with Klingon and Toki Pona is, in my opinion, their limited
vocabulary, which makes it difficult to write about a fair number of
subjects. I can well imagine that Quenya will have similar problems;
probably even Sindarin, for that matter, but Quenya even more so.)

> I have been told
> that, crazy as it seems, there are actually Unicode entities for this
> alphabet (though I haven't confirmed this).

Not yet. According to http://www.unicode.org/pending/pending.html,
Tengwar is "in Early Committee Review".

Cheers,
Philip