[Wikipedia-l] Re: Quenya language request

Boris Lohnzweiger BorisLohnzweiger at web.de
Thu Feb 10 07:26:20 UTC 2005

I fully agree with Chad. Speaking out against more wikipedias in fictional languages shouldn't be confused with speaking out against those languages in general. I mean, many of them certainly are products of great creativity and therefore have a value of their own.

But, a the end of the day, what is (or should be) an encyclopedia all about?  My definition is: a _comprehensive_ source of information. Now I'm afraid neither Klingon nor Quenyan nor any other fictional language wikipedia will ever achieve that status. Matter of fact, I think even most International auxiliary language wikipedias which have been set up so far won't get there.

So after all, those fantasy language wikipedias would all end up being creative playgrounds for small circles of people. Which surely woundn't be a bad thing. But would that really fit into the concept of this great project? Or wouldn't it rather harm Wikipedia's reputation as a reliable, comprehensive source of information (i. e. not fiction)?

Boris