[Wikipedia-l] Wikicite project pages (english versions only so far)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Feb 9 23:59:24 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson wrote:

>I think a very important issue here is whether to add cites to
>articles that we don't know what sources were used.
>
>If I wrote the entire text of [[Japanese language]] (which I didn't,
>this is just an example), without a cite, it would be a very horrible
>thing in my mind if somebody added a cite for a book I'd never even
>heard of. It's simply not accurate, and in some cases the book may not
>even be a good resource.
>
>Whenever somebody adds a random cite to an article written mostly or
>entirely by me, I remove it unless I actually DID use that source.
>It's very irritating to have people doing that, almost like bees, who
>while they make honey also tend to annoy people.

That's not nice.  It suggests that you have taken personal ownership of
the article.  When somebody adds a citation, one should at least presume
that the person acted in good faith, and that he felt that the source
supported some of the things said in the article.  How can you possibly
tell whether a book is a good resource if you've never heard of it?  You
have no basis for determining that the cite is "random".

It's not as if he were referring to a source with a known biased
political point of view.

Ec