[Wikipedia-l] Wikicite project pages (english versions only so far)

Stirling Newberry stirling.newberry at xigenics.net
Wed Feb 9 20:15:16 UTC 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 2:59 PM, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> Sj wrote (about Wikicite):
>> I was wary of this idea at first, but after talking to Stirling about
>> it last week, I am very enthusiastic.  Two librarians I have talked to
>> in Boston seem to think it's a good idea, also.
>
> As in "if you cook, we will eat", or the other way around?
>
> Stirling Newbury wrote:
>>> together in a live manner, which allows for the creation of
>>> bibliographic apparatus. The Library of Congress is working on such a
>>> project for its purposes, it is the purpose of this project to create
>>> an open wiki system which will allow:
>
> Who are these people at LoC?  Does their project have a name?

Bibliographic enhancement, there is a link on the page.

> I think the best way is to digitize every book and give each page a
> URL, like this, http://runeberg.org/pictswed/0219.html

Where the material is in Wikisource this is great, but you still need
the card for context and references.

> We already know how to handle URLs, and it's only a matter of time
> until we have scanned every book and newspaper there is.  I would
> guess the task will be completed within the next 50 years.  Most of us
> will be around to see it.
>
> So, I have a proposed solution and a time table.  What's your time
> table?

Links to sources don't create citation indexes, they don't make citing
easier and they don't allow us to annotate sources - it also assumes
that a great deal of material will be released into the public domain
that is not currently. I feel that we can have a first pass wikicite
ready to be used in wikipedia and wikitionary articles within a year
based on ISBN numbers for books and ISSN numbers for journals.