[Wikipedia-l] Wikicite project pages (english versions only so far)

Tomer Chachamu the.r3m0t at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 20:09:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 20:59:56 +0100 (CET), Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> Who are these people at LoC?  Does their project have a name?
>
> I think the best way is to digitize every book and give each page a
> URL, like this, http://runeberg.org/pictswed/0219.html
>
> We already know how to handle URLs, and it's only a matter of time
> until we have scanned every book and newspaper there is.  I would
> guess the task will be completed within the next 50 years.  Most of us
> will be around to see it.

Scanning is difficult. I know that in the British Library and other
copyright libraries, photocopying (and therefore scanning) of a book
has to be one page at a time: you cannot open a book flat for
photocopying, but let one page at a time dangle on the side of the
photocopier. Also, material beyond a certain age may not be
photocopied at all. (I think you might also need permission
sometimes).

I don't know how far back the Library of Congress goes, but these may apply.

Also, these things are copyrighted. :P