[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia in Chinese dialects

Alex Kwan litalex at slashyalex.com
Sun Feb 6 16:57:57 UTC 2005

Hello,

Sheng Jiong wrote:
> But tell us how much difference are there between "Cantonese
> characters" and proper Chinese characters? Aren't you still using
> Chinese characters, with the addition of a few distinctive Cantonese
> characters?

I've never done a study and I don't have any reference books on that
topic. But I would highly appreciate it if you drop the "proper", the
word "standard" or "typical set of" would work equally well for your
purpose without the connotations.

Sure I'd be using the usual Chinese characters in addition to the
Cantonese/Yue characters. I can only say that whenever I type in
Chinese, it's usually in Traditional Chinese and I've found all the
characters I need, even the Cantonese ones, when I use the Changjie system.

> please do remember. Majority of the Cantonese speakers live in
> Guangdong, and extremely few, if any, of these people can comprehend
> or write.

...write at all or write Cantonese/Yue? Again, have you done a study in
this? If not, then citations please?

> up if only a minority of the speakers can understand a non-standard
> writing system created by a few people.

I doubt it's a non--standard writing system created by a few people.
Many Cantonese/Yue characters are from the ancient times; only that
we've kept those characters when they fell out of use in Northern China
where they speak Mandarin.

> Again, only HKers can understand your "written Cantonese"! Have you
> forgotten your neighbours in Guangdong??

And again, you know this...how? Citations?

> There is a big difference I agree. But "completely different from
> Mandarin"? I doubt if the grammar is different?

All right, "completely" is an overstatement, but the grammar is
*definitely* different.

> And I doubt how many people can really understand your Cantonese
> Wikipedia?

It's not just *my* Cantonese wikipedia...

> There are 77 million Cantonese living in Guangdong, and how
> many of them can really understand "Cantonese characters"?

I don't know. And we won't know until there is a study or a trial. Can
you name any studies?

And really, how many people understand *Klingon*?! Yet it was set up in
the past... There are 6.8 million people in Hong Kong; even if only one
percent uses the wikipedia, that's sixty thousand people. I think that's
enough reason for a trial.

little Alex