[Wikipedia-l] Bots not working

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 22:13:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 09:02:57 +0100, Sabine Cretella
<sabine_cretella at yahoo.it> wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering quite a lot when yesterday my bot for the Italian
> wiktionary did not work anymore ... then I heard about problems witn
> "one" user - vandalism of course.

To expand on Andre's answer: As I understand it, from lurking on
various mailing lists, it's not that bots have been blocked as such,
but that new security features have been added to the software to
prevent certain kinds of attack. Unfortunately, these also impact
legitimate automated access, in that bots will have to jump through a
few extra hoops to prove that they are making "legitimate" edits, and
there seem to be "teething problems" getting the pywikipediabot to
jump through those hoops.

I hope I've understood this right, and wish Andre [and/or any other
coders] luck in getting the bots back up and running soon.

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]