[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia in Chinese dialects

Alex Kwan litalex at slashyalex.com
Fri Feb 4 07:24:57 UTC 2005

Hello,

Sheng Jiong wrote:
> is, all Chinese dialects other than Mandarin remain a spoken language,
> and extremely few books/articles/etc. are published in dialects.

...citation? How do you know? From what studies are you pulling this
information from? You can't just say it and assume it to be true.

I mean, many printed ads in Hong Kong that are written in Cantonese/Yue,
using puns and so on. Many slogans of those products are written in
Cantonese/Yue. The most recent example I can think of, in fact, is a
government ad (from the Equal Opportunity Committee) trying to
discourage racism.

> fact we do not even know what writing system we should use should
> there be a Chinese dialect Wikipedia.

Well, I would suggest Hanzi script first and consider whether we should
do the romanization later on, though I think romanization would be too
confusing to really be useful.

little Alex