[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia in Chinese dialects

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 18:41:19 UTC 2005

Oh, and also, here you seem not to fully understand the complex
relationship between Chinese vernaculars, comparing them to
"culturally significant English dialects" which according to you are
only a little bit less divergent.

Chinese vernaculars are extremely, extremely divergent from one
another. When written in Han characters, they're still divergent, but
not as much (since in han characters, all that shows is vocabulary and
grammar, not pronunciation).

The "desire" to "unite" fangyan (languages, dialects, regional speech)
with Baihua is mostly one felt by the government of the Mainland. Very
few actual speakers of these languages feel strongly about trying to
use a united written form, and if they do, they usually feel strongly
against it.

We have Wikipedias in languages now where there are a very very small
number of books published in them annually only, we have at least a
couple of Wikipedias in languages which many would argue are dialects.
Cantonese has a stronger claim to separate literature than most of
these, both Cantonese and Wu have a stronger claim to number of
speakers.

If a reader doesn't want to view a particular Wikipedia, and neither
does the next one, there is always one that will. There is no way to
tell what the interest will be, and it would be a bad decision, I
think, to say "no" just because only 5% or 10% (this is just a
scenario - for all I know, 99.9999% or 0.0001% are actually
interested) are interested when even they number in the hundreds of
thousands on their own.

Mark