[Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia in Chinese dialects

Alex Kwan litalex at slashyalex.com
Thu Feb 3 16:03:02 UTC 2005

Hello,

Andrew Lih wrote:
> One done in Mandarin will benefit over 1 billion people who simply
> don't have a good free encyclopedia, in both senses of the word - free
> as in beer, and free as in freedom. The faster we get there, the
> better. And I don't think that's a selfish notion.

I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from. But I
can't help but see Mark's point, too. To me, you're coming across as, I
don't want to let you have your pet project because my pet project
benefits more people.

So *I* will be selfish and ask you, so what if it benefits more people?
Why should that be my concern just because it is yours? Especially when
you're giving me the vibe that you could care less about my pet project?
You're asking for my/our help and yet you're dismissive of my/our wants
and wishes.

*And* you're assuming that a number of us will be working on the
"Mandarin" wikipedia if we don't have a Cantonese/Yue wikipedia to work
on, which isn't necessarily true. I, for example, write better and
faster in English and I'll probably spend more time on the English
wikipedia if I can't help in a Cantonese/Yue one.

little Alex