[Wikipedia-l] os.wikipedia.org

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 23:04:46 UTC 2005

Yes, I was going to ask Brion but I didn't see him online for the last few days.

And as regards Latin vs Cyrillic (vs Arabic), I totally agree on
Ossetic, HOWEVER:

Recent growth in the Chuvash and Bashkir Wikipedias has been a sort of
low-key duel between Latin and Cyrillic. It was my impression that
Cyrillic was the /only/ script used now for these languages.
Similarly, the Tatar Wikipedia is written entirely in Latin, while it
was my impression that today Tatar is written /only/ in Cyrillic (and
Arabic in China). The beginnings of the Uyghur Wikipedia have also
been conflicting, since in Chinese Turkestan where most Uyghur
speakers are, the official script is Arabic, but elsewhere some people
use Cyrillic and some people use Latin... it looks like it may become
a problem.

I may be wrong about any of these, but if my impressions are right it
would seem that some or all of these Wikipedias are being written by
activists in a script not used by very many people at all.

Mark