[Wikipedia-l] About language names

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 22:54:13 UTC 2005

> >And Gerard, please note that Alfio, unlike you, is a native Italian speaker.
> >
> >Mark
> >

> Which is a totally irrelevant remark. fyi I asked Sabine, she thinks
> that having it as it is written is to be preferrred; her argument is
> that things that are "strange" atract more curiosity. Her credentials as
> to the Italian language are obvious and adequate.

I don't see how it's irrelevant. Alfio's opinion here is a great deal
more valuable regarding Italian punctuation and capitalisation than is
yours because so far you have shown no knowledge of Italian.

> Using this argument is rich when it comes from the "tireless warrior for
> more wikipedia's even though he does not speak all the languages he
> champions". It basically disqualifies you and if you apply this logic to
> yourself, we will not hear that much from you on the mailinglist.

OK, first of all, this is the 7th or 8th time you've used "rich"
towards me when you meant "outrageous" or something along those lines.

Second of all, the difference is that I do not argue finer points of
these languages as do you. I do not say "Not only should the Friulian
Wikipedia exist, but its capitalisation rules should be thus and its
punctuation rules should be thus!!!".

You arguing finer points for Dutch and even English (and perhaps
Lèmburgs - I don't know if you know it or not, but there is FYI a
thriving Wikipedia in Lèmburgse taol now which not long ago was
proposed for locking as an inactive Wikipedia) is extremely credible
because you claim and even demonstrate fluency and experience with
these languages, but when you argue finer points of languages such as
Italian without saying directly "I was told by..." or "According
to..." it is much, much, less credible.

Mark