[Wikipedia-l] Text to speech (Was: Conference report from South Africa)

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at web.de
Thu Apr 28 09:36:05 UTC 2005

At
 http://magnusmanske.de/wikipedia/speak.html
you can hit a button to have "This is a wiki test" read to you as a WAV.
It is using the service at
 http://www.festvox.org/voicedemos.html
based on the open source Festival speech generation engine.

The HTML is dead simple. The text of a wikipedia page could be generated
on-the-fly within the parser, or from the <body> part of the output.

Or we could have a <speech>special extension</speech> for important
parts. Then again, probably not.

We should, however, ask the people from CMU first before we
wikipedia-flood their demo system :-)

Magnus