[Wikipedia-l] Re: Conference report from South Africa

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:20:59 UTC 2005

Ronald Chmara wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2005, at 5:26 AM, Andy Rabagliati wrote:
>
>> There was some discussion of that. Two (very real) problems :-
>> * Editing. Voice editing sounds clumsy, and would sound like
>> CamelCase :-)
>> * Accents. If an Indian is trying to understand what a Geordie or
>>   someone from Barbados is saying, it might as well be in Afrikaans :-)
>

> Wikipedia is not paper. Or one tape deck.
>
> Thus, one word, say "aluminium" could have several pronunciation entries.
>
> -Bop

Hoi,
For Wiktionary we want MANY pronunciations. The word aluminium can be
found as http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Nl-aluminium.ogg on
Commons. This is the Dutch pronunciation. There are more language that
spell aluminium ( http://nl.wiktionary.org/wiki/aluminium ). Because of
a naming convention, I do welcome all pronunciations for this word. It
would take someone from Great Britain to do an en-en-aluminium.ogg
file.. A soundfile with fr da no and sv would also be very much appreciated.

If we want to have the pronunciations of all words Geordie, we only need
to establish a naming convention for it and stick to it. Nothing major,
no rocket technology.. It is not difficult, we have a solution :)

Thanks,
    GerardM