[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia-l Digest, Vol 21, Issue 53

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 22 19:07:26 UTC 2005

Mark Williamson a écrit:

>>Far from being a "secret", Bomis is a public website that anyone can
>>look at anytime they like.  If Bomis is pornography so is much of what
>>happens in R rated movies.
>

> I never said Bomis was a secret. I simply said that the fact that
> Bomis peddles pornography, and that the history of Wikipedia is
> intricately intertwined with Bomis, is kept a secret of sorts. Read
> the Wikipedia articles on the issue, you will not see much mention of
> pornography, but go to #wikipedia on freenode and you will hear a much
> different story.

I mention it in nearly every interview, and in most presentations.

I think the .com failure was pretty bad for many people (it was for my
little bank savings). I like the idea that a .com helped Wikipedia to
arise from nothing but expectations. And I even like it more that this
.com was a soft porn site. I think it shows there is good in everything
even if some people really disapprove of such sites :-)

Usually, most reactions are good. And if you fear such a comment, it is
best to say it on humourous tone than to hide it.

Ant