[Wikipedia-l] Sanger's memoirs

Stan Shebs shebs at apple.com
Wed Apr 20 18:23:01 UTC 2005

Lars Aronsson wrote:

>Brion Vibber wrote:
>
>>I've only skimmed these posts, but they seem to boil down to historical
>>trivia ("we had 24 articles not 12!") and saying we should do things
>>

>Actually the article is a lot better than that.  It's an important
>piece of history in the writing.  I'm looking forward to the book.
>Larry is very careful to point out that he is Wikipedia's friend
>and I see no conflict.

The entire discussion is a perfect illustration of why we
want to have a historian assemble all the individual and
sometimes-conflicting accounts into a coherent story, publish
it, then summarize *that* for WP's article about itself. Even
though the events happened only a couple years ago, some of the
relevant documents have apparently already disappeared, and
everybody is having to dredge through their personal memories,
which are less reliable.

Stan