[Wikipedia-l] Re: html emails

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 23:00:52 UTC 2005

Whew!  What a dust-up.  Cormac rocks for helping coordinate this
mailing, despite its crazy goal of being deeply language neutral.
Multilingual announcements are harder than they look.

On 4/19/05, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio at gmail.com> wrote:
> And once again, nobody's forcing anyone to accept this mail -
> hopefully we can provide a choice that suits all. And there are no
> images in the html version (although I originally wanted to include
> the wikimedia logo, but decided it was too much hassle).

When I viewed the original html email in my text-only mail reader (one
which does not recognize and mark up URLs), it was legible and not
aesthetically offensive, though it was clearly an HTML message. I
think it was a good compromise between brevity and inclusivity
(there's just no good way to scroll through 50 mini-paragraphs of text
to find the one in your language, without some kind of TOC).  On the
other hand, this is just the other end of the spectrum of "how can we
send PDFs to people who prefer to receive them by email without
troubling those who don't?" ...

Starting out with a text email is simple, and will help limit the
amount of work for you at first (Cormac).  We can leave it at one
sentence per language, and link to an on-wiki HTML version of the
announcement...  and then discuss offering more elaborate preferences
later (while also working on the mechanics of maintaining the list).

SJ, regretting slightly that this conversation is in English on an
English-dominated list

> Ja
>
> Wikimedia Quarto
> はウィキメディア財団の公式の広報誌です。第2号・2005年1月号は3月15日発行されました。現在5ヶ国語でお読みいただけます。また、第3号への原稿を募集中です。詳細はこちらをご覧下さい。。

Great.  If you're feeling lucky, you should try it with some Malayalam
text to be sure :-)