[Wikipedia-l] Re: html emails

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 19:29:03 UTC 2005

On 4/19/05, Cormac Lawler <cormaggio at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, the main point of the proposed html mail is that it is
> multilingual. If you can convince me that a mail I (or whoever)

This is entirely inaccurate.

UTF-8 encoding works through almost every mail system out there
without special attachments.  On Linux (the only platform I can speak
with authority about), the common mail clients (with the exception of
gnus inside emacs) will correctly decode utf-8.

Since the list is primarily in english, and a great many languages can
be mostly expressed with plain ascii,  the existence of a wealth of
software that supports UTF8 should be sufficient.

By pushing HTML email you would make it very difficult to use my
choice of mail client so that someone who wishes to write 日本語の言語 has
the ability to use a greater number of the less featured mail clients.
I do not think this is the correct optimization.