[Wikipedia-l] Re: Encarta goes wiki - sort of...

Anthere anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 17 18:51:57 UTC 2005

Stirling Newberry a écrit:

> On Apr 13, 2005, at 6:08 PM, Faraaz Damji wrote:
>
>> Anthere wrote:
>>
>>> I looked at their review process... I do not see how it could work...
>>> Eh, it reminds me of Nupedia !
>>

>> I agree, but it's different from Nupedia in that they've got tons more
>> resources than Nupedia did.  Still, I don't see encarta becoming the
>> largest encyclopedia in the world, since there is little reason for
>> people to contribute.  It doesn't even seem like they give attribution
>> (do they? If so, where?).
>>
>> I don't think that there will be dedicated editors like there are on
>> Wikipedia, and like there were on Nupedia, since encarta is completely
>> for profit- they're in it for the money and NOT for providing free
>> access to "the sum of all human knowledge." There might be some casual
>> editors who, upon finding something that wasn't previously there, will
>> submit it (eg. if somebody died).  There is little reason I see for
>> anybody going on the site for the purpose of improving it.
>>
>> While it will help keep the encyclopedia more up-to-date, I doubt it
>> will ever become nearly as popular as Wikipedia is.
>>
>> Blog: http://frazzydee.ca
>

> Wikipedia is an increasingly hostile environment. Don't dismiss
> alternate venues because the wave is cresting on wikipedia.

I .... tend to agree with Stirling here. In effect, growing communities
tend to reproduce a situation of anonymity that is found in big cities
in real life. We do not know our neighbours anymore. We do not go so
quickly to knock at the door when we hear nothing of him. And we bang
more and more on the ceiling than going to talk to him when he is making
noise.

Truely.

We are slowly recreating smaller communities inside the big ones.